Sunday, November 16, 2008

School Web Sites are Outdated

After completing an assignment for my Computers in Curriculum Design & Evaluation course, which required me to review an educational Web site and present my feedback to the class, I was a little uneasy, as I discovered that many school Web sites in my town are extremely outdated.

The Web site that I reviewed is actually the site for the Gifted & Talented school in my town. Though the site does present some really great information regarding the various programs the school offers, it isn't a very easy site to navigate through nor is it very aesthetically pleasing.

I offered some suggestions for improving the site, which included adding more multimedia to the site, such as real images, graphics, audio and video, to help make it more interesting for students, parents and other teachers, who may be visiting the site. I also thought it would be great if the school would require all teachers to regularly update their home page and link to a blog, which would provide an avenue for students to communicate with each other and with their teacher on lessons and other issues relevant to the class.

Though these sound like great suggestions, I'm sure I'm not the first person who brought these ideas to the surface. There's likely a problem with funding for the Web sites in this school district, which again brings up the issue of whether or not technology is an important part of education.

No comments: