Wednesday, September 10, 2008

My First WebQuest...

As my first assignment and presentation for my Computers in Curriculum Design & Evaluation class will be due on either September 24 or October 15, depending on which date we are assigned, I have already begun the research that will assist me in creating my first WebQuest. Although I have never heard of a WebQuest before taking this class, I think it is an extremely interesting way to conduct a lesson while implementing technology in the classroom. I definitely think it's vital to encourage students to continue to use the internet while they research and learn, and a WebQuest seems like a great technique.

Though we are not required to create an actual WebQuest with live links for this project,
I think I'm going to go ahead and give it a shot anyway using QuestGarden, http://www.questgarden.com/. It seems like a fairly easy way to create it, and the 2-year subscription fee is only $20. Since, I will be a certified teacher ready to work in less than two years, I think it's a good idea to purchase the subscription now. That way, I can give it some real practice, and I'll be ready for the time that I may actually want to use a WebQuest for teaching a lesson in my first year of teaching.

As for now, I'd like the topic of my first WebQuest for this class to be Writing a Persuasive Essay, since I'm really hoping that my first teaching job will be for Middle School Language Arts. I'm really excited to be moving forward with this project and hopefully finishing sometime within the next week. I'll be sure to include a link to the finished product!

2 comments:

Elena said...

Thank you for introducing the class to questgarden.com in tonight's chat. I did not know what Webquests were until a classmate presented one in my summer session class. I think the overall idea is pretty awesome! I see what Professor Luongo is saying about Webquest's being a little dated. As you search for them on the internet I am sure you have also found several that seem crude by 2008 standards. That is why I am excited to create my own on the website you recomended! That way I can design my own webquest that helps me teach my students exactly what I want them to learn!

Dr. Luongo said...

Thanks for posting this helpful site. I cannot wait to see what you can create.